If you buy big touch screen and other products, you would find the price is much higher than before. It is because the trade war with China.
Prices for touch screen and some household appliances is sure to go up certainly if the Trump administration carries on the imported taxes to Chinese products to U.S. market.
"For 300 USD/PCS big size touch screen, the tariffs might have a -hundred-dollar price impact," said David French, senior vice president for government relations at the National Retail Federation, an advocacy group.
"We're still assessing the list," French said. "There is machinery involved in consumer goods. ... There are chemicals listed that we believe are components of cosmetics and toiletries."
The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative proposed late Tuesday an additional 25 percent tariff on an extensive list of Chinese imports, valued at $50 billion for the year and ranging from aircraft parts to vaccines. A public hearing on the list is scheduled for May 15, and filing requests to appear and comment are due April 23.
Here are some of the consumer-related goods that appeared on the list:
LEDs for backlighting of LCDs
Touch screens without display capabilities for incorporation in apparatus having a display
Parts and accessories of printers
Snowplows and snowblowers
Vaccines for human medicine
Vaccines for veterinary medicine
"Some goods won't be imported at all with a 25 percent tariff, but prices of domestic goods will go up the full amount of the tariff," said Nicholas Lardy, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington.
But he and other analysts pointed out that for a U.S. economy roughly $18 trillion in size, 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese imports will have a relatively small effect overall on consumer prices.
For example, it is not clear the extent to which tariffs would affect imports of dishwashers.
Chinese manufacturer Haier, which acquired GE Appliances in 2016, "only imports a very small number of niche dishwashers designed for small spaces," spokesperson Kim Freeman said in an email to CNBC. "We make about 95 percent of our dishwashers in the U.S. in Louisville, Kentucky."
"At this point we are not sure what the impact on consumers will be," Freeman said.
The National Retail Federation estimates that access to imported goods through free trade agreements boosts the purchasing power of the average American family by $18,000 a year.
"It's going to be very difficult for the retailer to manage their supply chain in order to handle these tariffs," French said. "Consumers may be price sensitive enough that they may slow their holiday purchases. These may be 'Grinch' tariffs."
- What Is Capacitive Touch Screen?
- The Touch Screen Revolution
- Capacitive Touch Screen Defect
- Capacitive Touch Screen Advantage
- Capacitive Touch Screen Data Processing
- The Transparent ITO Conductive Film On The Resi...
- Accurate Tips For Choosing LCD Screens
- Industrial Touch Screen No Response How To Deal...
- The Projected Capacitive Screen Is A Screen Wit...
- Development Difficulties Of Projective Capaciti...
- Welcome To Visit Our Booth B4 146-3 At Munich E...
- Touch Panel Products Finds Good Chance At The 2...
- Our Factory Participates 2019 Weekly Display In...
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz Cars With Beautiful And Oper...
- 3D Touchscreen Has Been Developed By Microsoft
- Tesla Model 3 Touchscreen Opens Your Eye
- Where Does A Touchscreen Best Fit Into The Worl...
- Why Is There No Touchscreen In The 2019 Lexus R...
- Do You Know Graphene Touchscreen
- Why A Banana Could Swipe Your Phone Or Tablet T...