Aprinted circuit board(PCB) mechanically supports and electrically connects electronic components or electrical components using conductive tracks, pads and other features etched from one or more sheet layers of copper laminated onto and/or between sheet layers of a non-conductive substrate. Components are generally soldered onto the PCB to both electrically connect and mechanically fasten them to it.
Printed circuit boards are used in all but the simplest electronic products. They are also used in some electrical products, such as passive switch boxes.
Alternatives to PCBs include wire wrap and point-to-point construction, both once popular but now rarely used. PCBs require additional design effort to lay out the circuit, but manufacturing and assembly can be automated. Specialized CAD software is available to do much of the work of layout. Mass-producing circuits with PCBs is cheaper and faster than with other wiring methods, as components are mounted and wired in one operation. Large numbers of PCBs can be fabricated at the same time, and the layout only has to be done once. PCBs can also be made manually in small quantities, with reduced benefits.
PCBs can be single-sided (one copper layer), double-sided (two copper layers on both sides of one substrate layer), or multi-layer (outer and inner layers of copper, alternating with layers of substrate). Multi-layer PCBs allow for much higher component density, because circuit traces on the inner layers would otherwise take up surface space between components. The rise in popularity of multilayer PCBs with more than two, and especially with more than four, copper planes was concurrent with the adoption of surface mount technology. However, multilayer PCBs make repair, analysis, and field modification of circuits much more difficult and usually impractical.
The world market for bare PCBs exceeded $60.2 billion in 2014. In 2018, the Global Single Sided Printed Circuit Board Market Analysis Report estimated that the PCB market would reach $79 billion by 2024.
Related Industry Knowledge
- Capacitive touch panels
- Capacitive touch screen technology USES the hum...
- Capacitive touch screen precautions and common ...
- Basic structure of capacitive touch screen
- Principle overview of capacitive touch screen
- Resistive touch screen is a kind of sensor
- Advantages and disadvantages of resistance touc...
- Touch screen technology
- What is a five-wire touch screen
- What's the difference between a capacitor scree...
- Do You Know How to Check the Touchscreen
- How to Use A Touchscreen Monitor in Studio One
- Let us know something about ITO touch screen glass
- Do You Know What Touch Panel Is
- Some Guidance About Touch Screen in Electronica...
- What is a Touch Screen
- New Information About Resistive And Capactive T...
- What are oled displays?
- How To Fix Your Touchscreen On Window10
- Do You Know the 7 Inch Touchscreen